Village wall in Carcassonne France

The Barefoot Books Ambassador Conference 2013: Day Trip To Carcassonne

Discovered on Flickr (MarketingBarefoot ) for this terrifying evil building. Original date: 2013-05-15 15:50:18

Tagged: , Barefoot , Books , Ambassador , Day , Trip , Carcassonne , France , Castle , Tour , Mid , Evil , Town , French , Countryside

Inverness – Scottish Highlands Scotland 2018

I attended a good friends wedding in Inverness, I stayed overnight and decided to capture Inverness Castle and the surrounding area, moving a few miles further North to visit Urquhart Castle too.

This set of photos is from my visit to Inverness on Friday 27th July 2018, it was a magnificent summers day, the city was beautiful , I had a great day .

Inverness – from the Scottish Gaelic: Inbhir Nis ,meaning "Mouth of the River Ness".

Scots: Inerness) is a city in the Scottish Highlands. It is the administrative centre for the Highland council area, and is regarded as the capital of the Highlands. Inverness lies near two important battle sites: the 11th-century battle of Blàr nam Fèinne against Norway which took place on the Aird and the 18th century Battle of Culloden which took place on Culloden Moor.

It is the northernmost city in the United Kingdom and lies within the Great Glen (Gleann Mòr) at its north-eastern extremity where the River Ness enters the Moray Firth.

At the latest, a settlement was established by the 6th century with the first royal charter being granted by Dabíd mac Maíl Choluim (King David I) in the 12th century. The Gaelic king Mac Bethad Mac Findláich (MacBeth) whose 11th-century killing of King Duncan was immortalised in Shakespeare’s largely fictionalized play Macbeth, held a castle within the city where he ruled as Mormaer of Moray and Ross.

The population of Inverness grew from 40,969 in 2001 to 46,869 in 2012.

The Greater Inverness area, including Culloden and Westhill, had a population of 59,969 in 2012. In 2018 it has a population of 69,989.

Inverness is one of Europe’s fastest growing cities,with a quarter of the Highland population living in or around it, and is ranked fifth out of 189 British cities for its quality of life, the highest of any Scottish city.

In the recent past, Inverness has experienced rapid economic growth: between 1998 and 2008, Inverness and the rest of the central Highlands showed the largest growth of average economic productivity per person in Scotland and the second greatest growth in the United Kingdom as a whole, with an increase of 86%.

Inverness is twinned with one German city, Augsburg, and two French towns, La Baule and Saint-Valery-en-Caux.

Inverness College is the main campus for the University of the Highlands and Islands.

With around 8,500 students, Inverness College hosts around a quarter of all the University of the Highlands and Islands’ students, and 30% of those studying to degree level.

In 2014, a survey by a property website described Inverness as the happiest place in Scotland and the second happiest in the UK.

Inverness was again found to be the happiest place in Scotland by a new study conducted in 2015.

Inverness was one of the chief strongholds of the Picts, and in CE 565 was visited by St Columba with the intention of converting the Pictish king Brude, who is supposed to have resided in the vitrified fort on Craig Phadrig, on the western edge of the city.

A 93 oz (2.9 kg) silver chain dating to 500–800 was found just to the south of Torvean in 1983.

A church or a monk’s cell is thought to have been established by early Celtic monks on St Michael’s Mount, a mound close to the river, now the site of the Old High Church and graveyard.

The castle is said to have been built by Máel Coluim III (Malcolm III) of Scotland, after he had razed to the ground the castle in which Mac Bethad mac Findláich (Macbeth) had, according to much later tradition, murdered Máel Coluim’s father Donnchad (Duncan I), and which stood on a hill around 1 km to the north-east.

The strategic location of Inverness has led to many conflicts in the area. Reputedly there was a battle in the early 11th century between King Malcolm and Thorfinn of Norway at Blar Nam Feinne, to the southwest of the city.

Inverness had four traditional fairs, including Legavrik or "Leth-Gheamhradh", meaning midwinter, and Faoilleach. William the Lion (d. 1214) granted Inverness four charters, by one of which it was created a royal burgh. Of the Dominican friary founded by Alexander III in 1233, only one pillar and a worn knight’s effigy survive in a secluded graveyard near the town centre.

Medieval Inverness suffered regular raids from the Western Isles, particularly by the MacDonald Lords of the Isles in the fifteenth century. In 1187 one Domhnall Bán (Donald Ban) led islanders in a battle at Torvean against men from Inverness Castle led by the governor’s son, Donnchadh Mac An Toisich (Duncan Mackintosh).

Both leaders were killed in the battle, Donald Ban is said to have been buried in a large cairn near the river, close to where the silver chain was found.

Local tradition says that the citizens fought off the Clan Donald in 1340 at the Battle of Blairnacoi on Drumderfit Hill, north of Inverness across the Beauly Firth.

On his way to the Battle of Harlaw in 1411, Donald of Islay harried the city, and sixteen years later James I held a parliament in the castle to which the northern chieftains were summoned, of whom three were arrested for defying the king’s command.

Clan Munro defeated Clan Mackintosh in 1454 at the Battle of Clachnaharry just west of the city.

Clan Donald and their allies stormed the castle during the Raid on Ross in 1491.

Engraving of Inverness from A Tour in Scotland by Thomas Pennant, 1771.
In 1562, during the progress undertaken to suppress Huntly’s insurrection, Mary, Queen of Scots, was denied admittance into Inverness Castle by the governor, who belonged to the earl’s faction, and whom she afterwards caused to be hanged.

The Clan Munro and Clan Fraser of Lovat took the castle for her.

The house in which she lived meanwhile stood in Bridge Street until the 1970s, when it was demolished to make way for the second Bridge Street development.

Beyond the then northern limits of the town, Oliver Cromwell built a citadel capable of accommodating 1,000 men, but with the exception of a portion of the ramparts it was demolished at the Restoration. The only surviving modern remnant is a clock tower.

Inverness played a role in the Jacobite rising of 1689. In early May, it was besieged by a contingent of Jacobites led by MacDonell of Keppoch. The town was actually rescued by Viscount Dundee, the overall Jacobite commander, when he arrived with the main Jacobite army, although he required Inverness to profess loyalty to King James VII.

In 1715 the Jacobites occupied the royal fortress as a barracks. In 1727 the government built the first Fort George here, but in 1746 it surrendered to the Jacobites and they blew it up.

Culloden Moor lies nearby, and was the site of the Battle of Culloden in 1746, which ended the Jacobite rising of 1745–46.

The Rose Street drill hall was completed in around 1908.

On 7 September 1921, the first British Cabinet meeting to be held outside London took place in the Town House, when David Lloyd George, on holiday in Gairloch, called an emergency meeting to discuss the situation in Ireland.

The Inverness Formula composed at this meeting was the basis of the Anglo-Irish Treaty.

Inverness and its immediate hinterland have a large number of originally Gaelic place names as the area was solidly Gaelic-speaking until the late 19th century.

Several springs which were traditionally thought to have healing qualities exist around Inverness. Fuaran Dearg, which translates as the "red spring" is a chalybeate spring located near Dochgarroch. Fuaran a’ Chladaich (The Spring on the Beach) near Bunchrew was once accessed by a causeway from the shore. Although submerged at high tide it continues to bubble and was traditionally known for treating cholera. Fuaran Allt an Ionnlaid (Well of the Washing Burn) at Clachnaharry, where the Marquis of Montrose was allowed to drink while on his way from his capture in Sutherland to his execution in Edinburgh, was known for treating skin conditions. Also at Clachnaharry, Fuaran Priseag (The Precious Well) was said to have been blessed by Saint Kessock and could treat weak and sore eyes, as well as expelling evil and shielding curses if a silver coin was offered. Tobar na h-Oige (Well of the Young) is located near Culloden and was known for curing all ailments. Fuaran a’ Chragan Bhreag (Well of the Speckled Rock) is located near Craig Dundain and Fuaran na Capaich (The Keppoch Well) is located near Culloden.[28] Although a Gaelic name itself, Craig Phadraig is alternatively known as Làrach an Taigh Mhóir, or "the place of the Great house".

Several Gaelic place names are now largely obsolete due to the feature being removed or forgotten. Drochaid an Easain Duibh (Bridge by the Small Dark Waterfall), referred to in the tale Aonghas Mòr Thom na h-Iubhraich agus na Sìthichean (Great Angus of Tomnahurich and the Fairies) has not yet been located within Inverness and Slag nam Mèirleach (meaning Robbers’ hollow), adjacent to Dores Road in Holm is no longer in use. Until the late 19th century, four mussel beds existed on the delta mouth of the River Ness: ‘Scalp Phàdraig Mhòir’ (Scalp of Great Patrick), ‘Rònach’ (Place of the Seals) ‘Cridhe an Uisge’ (The Water Heart) and ‘Scalp nan Caorach’ (Scalp of the Sheep) – these mussel beds were all removed to allow better access for fishing boats and ships.

Allt Muineach (The Thicket River) now runs underground between Culcabock Roundabout and Millburn Roundabout. An Loch Gorm (The Turquoise Loch), a small sea loch which was situated beside Morrisons supermarket, was filled in during the 19th century and lives on only in the name of Lochgorm Warehouse. Abban Street stems from the word àban, a word of local Gaelic dialect meaning a small channel of water.

Many prominent points around Inverness retain fully Gaelic names.

Beinn Bhuidhe Bheag – Little Yellow Hill
Beinn Uan – Lamb Hill
Cnoc na Mòine – The Peat Hill
Cnoc na Gaoithe – The Hill of the Wind
Cnoc an t-Seòmair – The Hill of the Room
Creag Liath – Grey Crag
Creag nan Sidhean – The Crag of the Fairies
Doire Mhòr – Great Oakwood
Carn a’ Bhodaich – The Old Man’s Cairn
Meall Mòr – Great Hill

In the colonial period, a Gaelic speaking settlement named New Inverness was established in McIntosh County, Georgia, by settlers from in and around Inverness.

The name was also given by expatriates to settlements in Quebec, Nova Scotia, Montana, Florida, Illinois, and California.

The name Inverness is also given to a feature on Miranda, a moon of the planet Uranus, as well as a 2637 m tall mountain in British Columbia, Canada.[

Inverness is also known by its nicknames Inversnecky or The Sneck, with its inhabitants traditionally known as "Clann Na Cloiche" ("Children of the Stone" in Gaelic) owing to the importance of the Clach Na Cudainn stone in the city’s history.

Inverness is situated at the mouth of the River Ness (which flows from nearby Loch Ness) and at the south-western extremity of the Moray Firth. The city lies at the end of the Great Glen with Loch Ness, Loch Ashie and Loch Duntelchaig to the west. Inverness’s Caledonian Canal also runs through the Great Glen, connecting Loch Ness, Loch Oich, and Loch Lochy.

The Ness Islands, a publicly owned park, consists of two wooded islands connected by footbridges and has been used as a place of recreation since the 1840s.

Craig Phadraig, once an ancient Gaelic and Pictish hillfort, is a 240 m hill which offers hikes on a clear pathway through the wooded terrain.

Inverness lies on the Great Glen Fault.

There are minor earthquakes, usually unnoticed by locals, about every 3 years. The last earthquake to affect Inverness was in 1934.

Climate
Like the rest of Scotland, Inverness has an oceanic climate. Its sheltered location makes it one of the driest areas in Scotland. Inverness sees around 18.3 days of falling snow per year, and the record accumulation of snow was 1 foot 2 inches in January 2010.

The climate here is much colder than south-eastern Britain.

The highest temperature recorded is 29.7 °C in July 2006. Typically the year’s warmest day rises to 25.4 °C with a total of 2 days per year reaching or exceeding 25.1 °C. The lowest temperature recorded is -18.7 °C in January 2010. Typically the coldest night falls to -10.6 °C.

Climate in this area has mild differences between highs and lows[clarification needed], and there is adequate rainfall year-round.

The Köppen climate classification subtype for this climate is "Cfb" (marine west coast climate/oceanic climate).
Important buildings in Inverness include Inverness Castle, and various churches.

The castle was built in 1835 on the site of its medieval predecessor. It is now a sheriff court.

Inverness Cathedral, dedicated to St Andrew, is a cathedral of the Scottish Episcopal Church and seat of the ordinary of the Diocese of Moray, Ross and Caithness. The cathedral has a curiously square-topped look to its spires, as funds ran out before they could be completed.

The oldest church is the Old High Church, on St Michael’s Mount by the riverside, a site perhaps used for worship since Celtic times. The church tower dates from mediaeval times, making it the oldest surviving building in Inverness. It is used by the Church of Scotland congregation of Old High St Stephen’s, Inverness,[98] and it is the venue for the annual Kirking of the Council, which is attended by local councillors.

There is no Catholic cathedral in the area as the Diocese’s cathedral (St Mary) is at Aberdeen, the seat of the Diocese of Aberdeen. The Catholic population is served by two parish churches: St Mary’s Church, founded in 1837, is the older of the two and the first Catholic church founded in Inverness since the Reformation.

St Ninian’s was built during the 1960s and 1970s.

Inverness College is the hub campus for the UHI Millennium Institute.

Porterfield Prison, officially HMP Inverness, serves the courts of the Highlands, Western Isles, Orkney Isles and Moray, providing secure custody for all remand prisoners and short-term adult prisoners, both male and female, who are segregated.

Notable people

Main category: People from Inverness

Charlie Christie – Footballer; career included playing for Celtic and Inverness Caledonian Thistle

Charles Fraser Mackintosh (Teàrlach Friseal Mac An Toisich) – lawyer, author and politician. Born and raised in Inverness and represented the Highlands in Westminster.

Yvette Cooper – Work and Pensions Secretary in the Brown Cabinet,was born in Inverness

Don Cowie – Footballer, currently playing for Heart of Midlothian

James Alexander Forbes – British Vice-Consul to Mexican California as well as the first British Consul to the American state of California

Karen Gillan – Actress, best known as Amy Pond, the Doctor’s Companion in Doctor Who

Elspet Gray – Actress
Murray Grigor – Scottish film-maker

Derry Irvine – Former Lord Chancellor (under Tony Blair); was born in Inverness

Malcolm Jones – Musician; guitar player for Runrig

Charles Kennedy – Former leader of the Liberal Democrats; was born in Inverness

Russell Knox – Scottish professional golfer who plays on the PGA Tour

Kevin MacDonald – Former footballer who played for Liverpool F.C., and former caretaker first team coach at Aston Villa

John A. Mackay – Presbyterian theologian, missionary, and educator

Mary Macpherson – (Màiri Nic a’ Phearsain) poet and political activist, "Great Mairi of the Songs" raised her children in Inverness, where she wrote much of her work.

John McGinlay – Former footballer who played as a striker, most notably for Bolton Wanderers

Very Rev Mitford Mitchell DD Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland in 1903

Ethel Moir – Nursing orderly with Scottish Women’s Hospitals for Foreign Service

Ali Smith – Author; born in Inverness in 1962

Mr Egg – MacAcidhouse musician; born in Inverness on 7 January 1959

Major General Douglas Wimberley—British Army officer, born in Inverness 16 August 1896, service in World War I and World War II

Josephine Tey – Author

Found on Flickr (DanoAberdeen ) for this super evil building. Original date: 2018-07-31 23:40:48

Tagged: , Candid , Amateur , dano aberdeen , dano photography , 2018 , inverness , Scotland , Scottish Highlands , Scottish History , scotch , river ness , castle , inverness castle , NikonD750 , scottish heritage , heritage , historic scotland , historic environment scotland , landmark , Blue Sky , autumn , summer , spring , Scotia , Schotland , geo tagged , Landscape , Schottland , Scenery , Bonny Scotland , bonnie , Museum , winter , weather , Ecosse , escotia , recent , river , United Kingdom , İskoçya , preservation , conservation , inversnecky , great glen , picts , inverness scotland , urbex

The Keep

Impressive english castle (defending the country from the evil spanish fleet *g*)

Dover, Kent, UK

Discovered on Flickr (Zanthia ) for this weird evil building. Original date: 2009-06-15 21:38:46

Tagged: , Dover , Castle , Schloss , Dover Castle , Kent , UK , GB , Britain , England , the keep , English Heritage , National Trust

Oelber-Turm

© Lichtspot. All rights reserved.

This mind blowing evil building was spotted on Flickr by user Patrice von Collani (ars-magica-luminis.de) . Original date: 2013-05-11 16:08:36

Tagged: , Lichtspot , Sony , Sony Alpha , Alpha , 57 , Sony Alpha 57 , Alpha 57 , EVIL , Oelber , Schloss , Castle , Schloß , Germany , Deutschland , Europa , Europe , Kamera , Camera , Photo , Photography , Foto , Fotografie , Ars Magica Luminis , Photographie , Patrice , Patrice von Collani , von Collani

Details on Decay

"Everything proceeds as if of its own accord, and this can all too easily tempt us to relax and let things take their course without troubling over details. Such indifference is the root of all evil."

( I Ching )

PRINTS

This evil building was spotted on Flickr by user Sandra_R . Original date: 2007-09-18 11:49:53

Tagged: , architecture , stillness , clouds , colours , decay , details , exterior , house , home , typical , lifestyle , simplicity , national symbols , nobody , old , ornate , outdoors , photography , ruins , rural scenes , rustic , stone , stylish , traditional , laundry , window , door , pots , flowers , wall , blue , nº18 , white , red , Portugal , Óbidos , castle , platinumphoto , ABigFave

Červená Lhota

Červená Lhota Castle is a monument that gracefully maintains the balance between a representative aristocratic residence and a simple Renaissance fortress, having always been mercilessly restricted by the castle design’s layout. The impressive effect of the natural surroundings of the Deštná Creek with its castle lake, the age-old magic of a local residence strengthened by the appreciation of the „knightly“ Renaissance, is perhaps the main reason of the perpetual attraction of this place. It is a place both rough and kind, a strangely modest and beautiful world where good does not combine with evil, where the visitor instantly slips into the role of humble guest and grateful observer. Perhaps this is the reason that so many visitors feel themselves here as in a fairy tale, perhaps why so many couples decide to hold their weddings here every year, perhaps why so many people have felt, feel, and, we believe, will feel good here.

Credit goes to Flickr (Gianluca Giardi ) for this terrifying evil building. Original date: 2010-04-15 18:50:01

Tagged: , zamek , worldwidelandscapes , water , hdr , europe , europa , castle , czechrepublic , cz , wonderworld , landscape , eos450d , canon , 450d , Červená , Lhota , ČervenáLhota , red

Killyleagh Castle

Killyleagh Castle, County Down, Ireland. Taken using X-Pro1 and XF35mm. Settings: 1/140sec @ f16, ISO 500

This dark evil building was seen on Flickr by user Garr8 . Original date: 2014-01-17 13:15:18

Tagged: , Killyleagh , Cill Ó Laoch , Killyleagh Castle , architecture , castle , fields , Garr8 , John Garrett , XF35mmF1.4R , 35mm , XF35mm , Fujinon , Fuji X-Pro 1 , Fuji , Fujifilm , moody sky , clouds , overcast , light , lighting , csc , January , Northern Ireland , stonework , Rowan Hamiltons , Ulster , architect , building , Gawn Rowan Hamilton , James Hamilton , Charles Lanyon , Con O’Neill , Irish , chieftain , Ulster Scots , EVIL shooter , Creative EVIL Photography , compact system camera , Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable lens , EVIL , MILC , Mirroless Interchangeable Lens Camera

peacock Castle

The first house was build in the thirteenth century as a hunting lodge used by the counts and dukes of Gelre. The house was named ‘Pauwenburcht’ (Peacock Castle) because of the white peacocks they kept there. The dukes of Gelre used to wear the feathers on their helmets.
The present house was build in 1905 on the foundations of a house dating from the seventeenth century.

Staverden Castle is build on the foundations of a seventeenth century house.

At the backside of the house lies a small island in a pond. On the the island you can find the tomb of Eleonora. This Eleonora lived at Wildenborgh Castle, one of the eight castles of Vorden. She had a lover, who went on a crusade in the Holy Land. When he was away, another man wanted to gain her by force. When her lover returned home, he was killed by his rival. Eleonora wanted to escape this evil man and fled to Staverden, where a mighty knight lived, who gave her protection. She stayed there for the rest of her unhappy life, always dressed in black.
After her death she was buried on the island in the pond. On moonlit nights, the black lady is seen there, walking to and fro on the island, wringing her hands and lamenting about her lost love.

As seen on Flickr (holland fotograaf ) for this super evil building. Original date: 2012-10-26 14:40:50

Tagged: , peacock , castle , hollandfotograaf , canon , canon5d-mark2 , Holland , Gelderland , Pauwenburcht , staverden , love , story , sigma12-24 , iso , 100 , autumn , reflection