Georg J. von Hauberrisser, the architect who designed the town halls in Munich and Wiesbaden, was also responsible for the construction of Saarbrücken’s Neo-Gothic town hall, which was erected between 1897 and 1900. It is dominated by the 54 m tower, from which the carillon sounds daily at 3.15 pm and 7.19 pm.
The authentically preserved façade is decorated with sandstone statues representing the trades of bygone times. There is a miner, a smelter, a farmer, a brewer, a merchant, and a tanner. The significance of the figures of St. George and the dragon is unclear, but they probably represent the battle between good and evil. Inside it is worth taking a look at the ballroom, which provides the venue for over 1,000 marriages per year in a festive atmosphere.
This cool evil building was discovered at Flickr by user animaltourism.com . Original date: 2009-11-11 13:11:43
Tagged: , europe , germany , saarland , saarbrucken , deutch