Mercer-Williams House. The Mercer House was designed by architect John S. Norris for General Hugh W. Mercer (great-grandfather of Johnny Mercer). Construction of the house began in 1860, was interrupted by the Civil War and was later completed, circa 1868, by the new owner, John Wilder. The Mercer family never lived in the house. The house was once used as the Shriners’ Alee Temple. Purchased by Jim Williams in 1969 and restored. Italianate front elevation. Much of the story of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil takes place here. 429 Bull Street.
Contributing resource, Savannah Historic District, National Register of Historic Places 66000277
An interior photo of the central circular staircase and skylight from 1966 is available at the Library of Congress HABS/HAER site. The interior scene is very similar today.
As seen on Flickr (Andy961 ) for this evil building. Original date: 2012-05-20 19:06:55
Tagged: , Savannah , Georgia , GA , Mercer-Williams House , historic houses , Italianate , architecture , John S. Norris , NRHP